Kathleen A. Murphy focuses her practice on creditor’s rights, bankruptcy, workouts and commercial litigation. Her experience has included bankruptcy litigation and motion practice in Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings and workouts, as well as commercial litigation and lender liability matters in both federal and state courts.
Kathleen’s clients include banks and financial institutions as well as corporations holding large creditor claims.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Kathleen was a corporate bankruptcy and commercial litigation associate in an international multi-practice firm. Upon her graduation from law school, she clerked for the Honorable Joseph R. Slights, III, of the Superior Court of the State of Delaware.
Kathleen’s experience has included:
- Represented a large corporation holding a multi-million dollar claim in a Chapter 11 proceeding in the District of Delaware.
- Represented a national bank in lender liability litigation in the Southern District of Ohio.
- Represented a national bank in multi-million dollar foreclosure and sale proceedings in the Eastern District of Kentucky.
- Represented secured creditors in single-asset bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented court-appointed Canadian Monitor in a cross-border insolvency proceeding.
- Negotiated and drafted forbearance and modification agreements on behalf of banks and hedge funds.
- Prosecuted breach of contract and replevin actions.
- Represented banks and financial institutions in commercial foreclosure and receivership proceedings.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 2007, cum laude, associate editor - The Ricmond Journal of Law and Public Interest, board member - Moot Court, board member - Career Services Board
Catholic University of America, B.A., 2003, cum laude, English Literature, Philosophy minor
The Delaware State Bar Association
The Richard S. Rodney American Inn of Court
The Delaware Bankruptcy American Inn of Court
The Delaware Art Museum - Volunteer