John Emmanuel is a nationally recognized commercial litigator with significant experience fending off class actions and other complex disputes - particularly for healthcare-related businesses - and navigating claims involving financial institutions and bankruptcy.
How John Helps Clients
Healthcare Class Action Defense and Complex Litigation
John's experience includes defending healthcare and other companies against a range of class actions including, but not limited to, consumer protection claims, collection practice actions, ADA accessibility claims and data breach cases involving confidentiality of patient or customer information. In each instance, the cases involve complex issues, substantial financial risk and the necessity to protect reputation.
John is a go-to litigator for handling complex cases because he offers significant industry knowledge informed by years of developing and deploying effective defense strategy. Clients appreciate his collaborative style as he taps cross-functional teams when needed to contribute depth in areas such as healthcare regulation, labor and employment ADA issues or consumer collection.
John's understanding of the complex corporate structures of large healthcare companies is particularly valuable to clients as he not only handles all aspects of defending a case, but proactively contributes to strategic thinking about protecting upstream affiliates against exposure.
Financial Institution Litigation
John’s commercial litigation experience also includes work with banks and other financial institutions in complex commercial cases. These can involve foreclosures, debt restructurings or significant disputes between banks and commercial customers.
John represents creditors in a full range of bankruptcy matters and at times handles debtor cases. While he has earned national accolades for bankruptcy work, he stands out as one of very few litigators approved by the courts as a Chapter 11 Trustee, Chapter 11 Examiner, Consumer Privacy Ombudsman and Future Claimant Representative.
His decades of experience have earned John a reputation with clients, opposing counsel and judges for being prepared, organized, responsive and focused on clear communication. Clients appreciate John’s focus on creating a detailed, proactive plan that is synergistic with strategic and business objective critical to decision making.
I love learning about my clients’ businesses and how to help them overcome their challenges.
- Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” by the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Best Lawyers in America® list in the Litigation – Bankruptcy category. (Only a single lawyer in each practice area and designated metropolitan area is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year,” making this accolade particularly significant.)
- Awarded AV® Preeminent distinction, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer-reviewed mark for professional excellence
- Noted as a Florida Legal Elite in Florida Trend magazine, ranking in the top two percent of practicing Florida Bar Members
- Included each year since 2004 in Chambers USA, where he was listed as a leading bankruptcy lawyer in Florida
- Honored in Best Lawyers in America® as Tampa Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers magazine consecutively since 2006
Outside of the Office
Law is in John's DNA, coming from a family of attorneys - a father, three brothers and a sister-in-law. When not solving client problems, we might find John fishing, kayaking or reading history.
- Defended a “bet the company” commercial arbitration case where the damage claim exceeded the client’s net worth
- Represented a healthcare company in numerous litigation matters throughout Florida
- Represented a healthcare company in a large private arbitration (Tampa, Florida)
- Represented a public manufacturing company in litigation with one of its former dealers (Middle District of Florida)
- Represented the largest creditor in hospital Ch. 11 Case in So. District of Florida
- Has served as a Chapter 11 Trustee, Chapter 11 Examiner, Consumer Privacy Ombudsman, and Future Claimant Representative
University of Florida, J.D., 1984
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
American Bankruptcy Institute
American Bar Foundation: Fellow
The Florida Bar: Past Chair, Bankruptcy/UCC Committee; Past Chair, Business Law Section; Member, Executive Council; Former member, CLE Committee; Former Chair, UCC Study Group
Hillsborough County Bar Association
Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association: Past President; Director; Past Board Member
United States Law Firm Group: Chair, Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights Committee