For more than 30 years, John D. Goldsmith has counseled clients on business structural, corporate, contractual, merger and acquisition, real estate, tax and environmental matters.
John’s role as a business and legal advisor provides real value to his business clients. He represents individuals and family-held businesses, as well as large public and private organizations, acting essentially as an outside general counsel and business advisor. John counsels both lenders and borrowers on commercial financing matters and frequently advises start-up clients in the capital formation and fundraising stages of development. He assists on all corporate and real estate aspects of New Jersey acquisitions and mergers. In addition, he represents a number of nonprofit organizations on corporate and tax issues.
Examples of John’s representative transactions include:
- Represented a New Jersey technology company in connection with several rounds of venture financing.
- Represented a national health care provider on the acquisition of several New Jersey healthcare properties.
- Represented a large steel deck and joist manufacturer in connection with facility acquisitions in many states and public debt financings related thereto.
- Represented Fortune 50 companies in connection with the negotiation and sale of a former industrial facility to a residential developer, as well as the purchase of multiple New Jersey and Pennsylvania commercial sites.
- Counseled many companies in connection with real estate transactions involving compliance with the New Jersey Industrial Site Remediation Act.
- Represented several out-of-state lenders on New Jersey issues relating to enforcement of loan documents and realization of collateral.
- Counseled the purchaser of a major New Jersey industrial operation on many issues relating to environmental liabilities and regulatory matters.
- Represented a substantial distributor on many aspects of corporate formation and real estate acquisition transactions, including construction and financing of new distribution facility in the Meadowlands, N.J.
- Represented a foreign medical provider in connection with the lease of a substantial portion of an office building in connection with its conversion to a clinic and medical office building.
John is a trained mediator and serves in that capacity for the New Jersey Superior Court civil mediation program. He is also a frequent speaker for continuing education seminars.
John serves on the board of directors of several New Jersey non-profit, tax-exempt corporations and is active in a number of local and statewide business organizations.
He has been selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list in 2006, 2007 and 2013-2015, and was selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2014 and 2015 Best Lawyers in America® list in the Corporate Law and Environmental Law categories. John garnered an AV® Preeminent distinction, the highest available mark for professional excellence from Martindale-Hubbell’s® Peer Review Ratings, and was also listed as a "Top Rated Lawyer."