Jayson R. Wolfgang's civil litigation practice includes commercial, tort, insurance, health care, state procurement, patent and other litigation for corporations, financial institutions, health care entities, small to mid-size businesses, municipalities and individuals.
Jayson has tried many cases to verdict, and has successfully argued appeals, in both state and federal courts. In addition, he has represented clients before and against administrative agencies and boards, including the Pennsylvania Departments of Insurance, Transportation, Education, Corrections, Revenue and State. When appropriate, Jayson has also used alternative dispute resolution procedures such as arbitrations and mediations to cost-effectively resolve issues for clients.
Recently, Jayson has:
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in an appeal arising from an action challenging pricing of pharmaceutical products.
- Represented offerors and bidders in connection with public procurements totaling hundreds of millions of dollars, including advice and counseling as well as litigation at the administrative and appellate levels.
- Represented a major insurer in a proposed class action involving the insurer's reserves and surplus.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in an action brought by the Office of Attorney General in Pennsylvania challenging pricing of drugs.
- Represented title insurance rating organizations in regulatory and litigation matters.
- Represented an innovator pharmaceutical company in three Hatch-Waxman paragraph IV patent infringement cases involving method and formulation patents.
- Defended a newspaper company in an investigation by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Office of Attorney General.
- Represented a group of managed care organizations in litigation against the Pennsylvania Insurance Department involving the proper interpretation of a mandated benefit statute.
- Secured judgment as a matter of law at trial, in a Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act case, on behalf of a limited partnership real estate owner and landlord of property located in a well-known car dealership strip of U.S. Rt. 1 in Langhorne, Pennsylvania.
- Defended a national pharmacy company in class action litigation involving claims of fraud for alleged violations of Pennsylvania's Motor Vehicle and Financial Responsibility Law.
- Represented the governing board of a nonprofit corporation with respect to relationships between a major university and its law school.
- Represented major parties in litigation relating to the proposed sale of Hershey Foods Corporation (now The Hershey Company).
- Secured a defense verdict for a major media company on multimillion dollar compensatory damage claims for alleged defamation and false light/invasion of privacy.
Jayson is a recognized advocate for the use of new and improved technologies in litigation. He leads the firm's Litigation Technology Working Group and founded its E-discovery Team. He is regularly consulted by judges, attorneys, corporate counsel and other professionals with respect to preservation and discovery of electronically stored information (ESI) and the use of technology in litigation. He has lectured in these areas before former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge, state agency attorneys for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, law schools and trial judge organizations at both the federal and state levels.
Jayson actively participates in several professional organizations and is a graduate of the Leadership Harrisburg Area program. He also serves the community, including nonprofit organizations, at the local and regional levels, in various capacities. Jayson serves as a certified mediator in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, and was appointed to that court’s Civil Jury Trial Task Force. He was also nominated by the same court to serve on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals' Lawyers Advisory Committee and the Lawyers Advisory Committee for the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. He teaches as a member of the adjunct faculty in the trial advocacy program at The Penn State Dickinson School of Law.
Jayson has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for commercial litigation every year since 2006.