How Jan Helps Clients
Jan is well versed in the changing health care landscape in Western Pennsylvania.
He was involved in the formation of Allegheny Health Network and has helped many large health care institutions manage transactions, system restructurings, medical staff matters and other legal issues. Jan has worked with hospital and long-term care clients, handling acquisitions and divestitures in excess of $1 billion.
He also counsels clients in data security and privacy to help them meet the unique compliance challenges of the HIPAA and the HITECH Act.
What Clients Can Expect
Jan is a calming presence in difficult negotiations. His knowledge of the industry paired with strong communication and project management skills make him a responsive and reliable colleague in complex legal matters.
Beyond knowing the law and understanding a client's business, the two most important things an attorney can do are to communicate and follow up.
He has worked with clients at hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, personal care homes, CCRCs, pharmaceutical companies, durable medical equipment suppliers and other health care providers and suppliers throughout the United States.
Jan was born in Saarbrücken, which was then part of West Germany. He emigrated to the U.S. as a child and grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Kansas City, Kansas; and South Bend, Indiana.
As an undergraduate at the University of Michigan, Jan served on the student athlete advisory council and swam as a member of the 1995 NCAA champion swimming and diving team.
When he's not working, Jan enjoys family time and athletic activities.
- Formation of a regional integrated delivery system, through the representation of a regional health system in the acquisition of three local health systems in less than one year.
- Acquisition by a newly formed long-term care provider of a Texas-based long-term care business with more than 30 skilled nursing facilities.
- Large regional health system in the acquisition of a New York-based health system.
- Regional health systems in the joint-acquisition of an ownership interest in a durable medical equipment supplier.
- Local ancillary services provider in the acquisition of the assets of a home infusion company.
- Formation of a home health and hospice services joint venture among local health care providers, and the acquisition by the newly formed joint venture of the assets of another home health provider.
- Regional and local health systems and hospitals in affiliations with and the acquisition of local health systems and hospitals, with dozens of closings since 2012.
- Local and regional hospitals and health systems in the acquisition of numerous physician practices and practice providers.
- Large religiously affiliated regional health system in a consolidation transaction resulting in one of the nation’s largest religiously affiliated health systems.
- Acquisition of a specialty pharmacy by a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company.
- Sale of a Pennsylvania personal care home and licensure matters related to the sale.
- Acquisition of 20 skilled nursing facilities and ancillary long term care businesses by a Tennessee-based long-term care provider.
- Regional blood service provider in its affiliation with Tennessee and Virginia-based providers of blood products and services.
- Jan was also a member of the team representing UPMC Braddock before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, UPMC-Braddock Hospital v. Sebelius, 592 F.3d 427 (Jan. 20, 2010), wherein the Third Circuit vacated the District Court's decision entering summary judgment for the defendant and remanded the case for further proceedings.
- While in law school, Jan updated human genetics seminar materials and developed health care law related treatise materials as a research assistant for professor Alan Meisel and interned at Mercy Hospital's legal services department in Pittsburgh.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1999
University of Michigan, B.A., 1996
Health Law Section, Allegheny County Bar Association
Member, Baptist Homes Society Board of Directors