Jaime S. Tuite helps businesses resolve their employee issues inside and outside of court. She defends employers in discrimination and wage and hour lawsuits. She has tried such cases in Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Middle District of Pennsylvania. She counsels employers on hiring, disciplining and firing employees, including drafting employment agreements, assisting in large reductions in force, providing sensitivity and management training and investigating claims of harassment and discrimination.
Jaime has experience litigating restrictive covenants cases and has obtained temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions for employers enforcing employment agreements.
She has represented employers in the following recent non-compete litigation matters, including:
- Obtained Ex Parte temporary restraining order and stipulated to court order victory for a roofing client in a non-compete case.
- Obtained decision for a permanent injunction for a building products client after a two-day trial, finding that the defendant had violated his non-compete and ordered him to cease and desist for one year.
- Protected a computer software engineering company from a key marketing executive working for a competitor in violation of his national non-compete agreement and caused the company’s trade secrets to remain safe through a court order.
- Obtained a court order restricting a research and development professional from working for a competitor based upon the inevitable disclosure doctrine.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order in federal court preventing a senior buyer from working for a competitor of a retail merchandising client.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction order in federal court to prevent a high-level executive from working for a competitor of a large steel distributor.
- Represented a major Pennsylvania-based roofing company in preventing its former employees from violating a non-solicitation agreement by performing work for its customers, which included an injunction hearing in Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas.
- Represented a Pennsylvania-based manufacturer in preventing its former employee from violating his employment agreement by capitalizing on a business method that the manufacturer client owned.
Jaime has represented employers in the following recent employment discrimination matters, including:
- Won summary judgment for a large non-profit organization on Equal Pay Act and retaliation claims, resulting in the Third Circuit affirming the district court.
- Defended a large research and development organization in a national origin and retaliation lawsuit, resulting in a victorious district court decision granting summary judgment and Third Circuit decision affirming summary judgment.
- Defended an international recruiting firm in a race discrimination and retaliation lawsuit, resulting in a victorious district court decision granting summary judgment and Third Circuit decision affirming summary judgment.
- Defended a broadcasting company in a federal court jury trial involving allegations of reverse race discrimination, sex discrimination and retaliation by a former employee.
- Defended a distributor of petroleum products in employment litigation in West Virginia involving claims of age discrimination, retaliation and various tort claims.
Jaime represented employers in the following Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Pennsylvania Wage Payment and Collection Law (WPCL) disputes:
- Defended a mortgage company in a FLSA collective action involving hundreds of plaintiffs against claims that the company had misclassified its loans officers.
- Defended a religious organization in a FLSA retaliation and wrongful termination case brought by a former employee, including a victorious decision from the Third Circuit to affirm a successful result in the lower court.
- Represented a major broadcasting company in a jury trial in Allegheny County on breach of contract and WPCL claims brought by a former executive, including a victorious argument where the Court granted a compulsory non-suit.
- Defended a significant mutual fund manager in a FLSA collective action and WPCL class action that resulted in a dismissal of the case from federal court.
Jaime's recent litigation experience extends beyond typical employment litigation and includes:
- Defended a university in a qui tam action involving claims under the False Claims Act and Pennsylvania Whistleblower Act.
- Defended a significant mutual fund manager in a NASD arbitration involving breach of contract, defamation and other various tort claims.
- Defended a regional healthcare provider in a qui tam action, initiated by former employees, involving claims under the False Claims Act and various tort claims.
- Defended an independent, public entity from a lawsuit involving Section 1983 and breach of contract claims, including a victorious decision by the district court dismissing the lawsuit and the Third Circuit affirming that decision.
- Defended a financial service company and a large research and development organization from multiple lawsuits involving ADA-compliance issues.
Jaime serves on Buchanan's E-Discovery Team, Pro-Bono Committee, and in 2007, she coordinated Buchanan's Summer Associate Program.
On February 2, 2015, the District Court Judges from the Western District of Pennsylvania appointed Jaime to serve on the Lawyers Advisory Committee of the Judicial Council of the Third Circuit for a three-year term. As member of the Advisory Committee, Jaime will serve as liaison between the court and legal community, including making recommendations on proposed rules, as well as other matters that may improve the administration of justice. Recently, Jaime was also appointed to the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania's Local Rules Advisory Committee to review their current Local Civil, Admiralty and Criminal Rules of Court. As part of the appointment, Jaime has joined the ESI Issues subcommittee.
Since 2010, Jaime has been honored each year by her peers and selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. Consecutively since 2016, she's been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® list in the Litigation - Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Labor and Employment categories. In 2006, she was recognized among "Women on the Verge" as part of a special supplement of The Legal Intelligencer's "Women in the Profession." Jaime also updates the Employment Libel & Privacy Law treatise on an annual basis including the most recent Pennsylvania developments.
From April 2003 to September 2004, Jaime served as a law clerk for the Honorable Joy Flowers Conti in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Vanderbilt University, J.D., 2001, Order of the Coif
Vanderbilt University, B.S., 1998, summa cum laude
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- West Virginia
Women in Law Division, member; Young Lawyers Division Council, past elected member; Very Important Papers Program, former program coordinator, Bar Leadership Initiative Program, graduate, Allegheny County Bar Association
The W. Edward Sell American Inn of Court
Graduate, CORO Women’s Leadership Program
American Bar Association
Leadership Pittsburgh Class of 2018
Neighborhood Legal Services Association, chair of the Budget Committee, board member, former treasurer, former chair of the Client Grievance Committee and former co-chair of the Pro Bono Service Task Force
Pittsburgh Habitat for Humanity, past board member, past vice chair, past chair of the Human Resources Committee
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney High School Mentoring Program with Westinghouse, Carrick, and Peabody High Schools, past program coordinator
McKees Rocks Pro Bono Clinic, volunteer