Jacob M. Theis focuses his practice in labor and employment law. He has represented employers of all sizes in various matters, including class and collective action litigation, discrimination claims, federal and state agency investigations and audits, as well as contract and commercial litigation. He has experience litigating matters before trial and appellate courts, and has handled numerous arbitrations and mediations.
In addition to his litigation practice, Jake counsels clients on various compliance matters, some examples of which include audits of company pay policies, overtime exemption statuses, document retention compliance and family and medical leave policies. Jacob conducts employer training and presents lectures on a variety of issues and topics.
In 2017, Jacob was selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers - Rising Stars list.
Some of his notable experience includes:
- Defended non-profit in U.S. Dept. of Labor, Wage and Hour Division Audit.
- Defended national homecare company in wage-and-hour class action in Colorado federal court on issue of first impression under the Colorado Minimum Wage Order.
- Defended hospital against False Claims Act and Pennsylvania Whistleblower Law claims.
- Represented Medicare provider on appeal of multi-million dollar Pa. Dept. of Human Services disallowance.
- Prosecuted breach of service contract action against Fortune 500 company involving multi-jurisdictional breach.
- Defended national pharmaceutical chain in Bivens Action brought by physician.
- Won dismissal in wrongful termination case brought by former nurses against a Pennsylvania hospital involving invasion of privacy claims.
- Enforced restrictive covenants through litigation against employees and competitors involving client lists, trade secrets, and other proprietary information.
- Defended wage and hour class action brought by employees in federal and state court against large, multi-jurisdictional non-profit organization.
- Compelled current employees suing their employer in federal court to produce various electronically stored information, including Facebook records.
- Recovered costs from plaintiffs following grant of summary judgment in defendant-employer’s favor.
Penn State Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 2008, Managing Editor for the Penn State Environmental Law Review; Woolsack Honor Society
George Mason University, B.A., 2005, Government & International Politics with a minor in Legal Studies
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Dauphin County Bar Association
Former attorney coach, central Pennsylvania high school mock trial team (2009 and 2010 district and regional champions)
Graduate, Leadership Cumberland