How Heather Helps Clients
Heather Alleva focuses her practice on representation of health systems, hospitals, physician groups, behavioral health facilities and other healthcare providers in a broad range of regulatory and compliance matters. She represents clients in mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, provider integration and other strategic transactions, as well as in reimbursement disputes with public and private payors.
Heather frequently counsels clients on state and federal regulation of healthcare providers, state and federal fraud and abuse matters, professional licensing issues, changes of ownership, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment, and HIPAA compliance. She is also experienced with billing and other internal investigations, including investigations of data-security incidents and breaches.
During law school, Heather served as a law clerk at the University of Pennsylvania, Office of the General Councsel, where she researched and compiled licensing requirements for hospital employees and medical students, drafted memoranda pertaining to the legality of various hospital policies and collected evidence for litigation to release patients from a physician’s services. She also served as a law clerk for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where she contributed to hospital consent forms, researched and drafted memoranda pertaining to the hospital’s compliance with state Medicaid regulations, and drafted the position statement for an employment discrimination case.
What Clients Can Expect
Given Heather’s experience with one of the nation’s largest health systems, she has the ability to relate to her clients and their needs from an insider’s perspective. Clients appreciate her proactive nature, excellent communication and tenacity.
Outside the Office
Heather enjoys spending time with friends and family, exploring the Philadelphia BYO scene and the numerous spin studios in the city. She is an avid Philadelphia sports fan and dreams of seeing the Flyers win the Stanley Cup. Heather also travels as much as work allows, enjoys listening to history and political podcasts, and considers herself a Super Fan of both “Survivor” and “The Walking Dead.”
- Served as lead associate in the sale of five clinical trial sites owned by a clinical research organization.
- Served as lead associate and assisted in the integration of a specialty hospital with a Pennsylvania multi-hospital health system.
- Represented out-of-network health care providers in successfully resolving underpayments and alleged overpayment refund demands by commercial health insurance plans.
- Reviewed and updated substance abuse facility’s billing policies and procedures.
- Assisted with investigations and counseling of various healthcare providers facing allegations of violations of the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and other state and federal fraud and abuse statutes.
- Served as lead associate in various investigations into data-security incidents, including HIPAA breaches.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2016
University of Pennsylvania, M.B.E., 2016
The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2013, summa cum laude, History and Political Science
- New Jersey
Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
Union League of Philadelphia, Member
American Health Lawyers Association, Member
Youth Work Foundation, Union League Committee Member