Frederick H. Masters has a broadly based real estate practice focused on real estate sales and purchases, financing, development, construction and commercial leasing. He also has experience in land use matters, business dissolutions (both amicable and litigious), partnership and joint venture structuring, dispute resolution and troubled project workouts and restructuring.
Frederick has experience in a wide variety of areas of commercial real estate law, including construction and permanent loan financing, representing both institutional lenders and developers, as well as experience in the areas of hotel, office, retail, industrial, multi-family, condominium (residential and commercial) and mixed-use acquisitions, development, construction, sales, leasing and operations. He has worked on "greenfield" and "brownfield" transactions on both the debt and equity sides.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Frederick served as general counsel and chief operating officer of a national engineering firm, specializing in structural engineering to the homebuilding and multifamily development and construction industries. He was responsible for the company's legal affairs and business operations.
Representative transactions on which Frederick has worked include:
- A $23,400,000 office property with capital and tenant improvement construction funding, representing the lender.
- A $45,000,000 construction loan to develop a 146-unit multi-family development, representing the lender.
- A $36,400,000 acquisition, capital and tenant improvement, construction loan for three multi-use buildings in Ft. Washington, PA, representing the lender.
- A $30,000,000 million construction loan for a luxury multi-family apartment development in Orlando, FL, representing the lender.
- A $67,000,000 acquisition and construction residential condominium project, representing the purchaser/developer, with investment partners and institutional take-out commitment.
- A $67,000,000 shopping center construction loan, representing the lender.
- Industrial lease of three buildings consisting of 267,000 square feet for extensive renovation and improvement as a manufacturing facility, representing the tenant.
- Sale of an industrial pier property by a national railroad to a governmental body, representing the seller.
- A $40,000,000 shopping center financing, representing the owner.
- A $20,000,000 sale by a national railroad of a mixed-use "brownfield" site with purchaser retaining construction obligations for seller's retained property, representing the seller.
- A 185,000-square-foot corporate headquarters lease for international financial services company, representing the tenant.
- A $44,000,000 syndicated construction and acquisition financing package of multiple "brownfield" properties with institutional take-out commitment, representing the agent bank.
- A $40,000,000 bankruptcy acquisition and residential town home construction project, representing the purchaser/developer with investment partners.
- A $200,000,000 shopping center acquisition and construction loan with institutional take-out commitment from investment partner, representing the lender.
- A $20,000,000 land acquisition and construction of a clinical research facility, representing a publicly-traded drug testing and research company.
- A $4,000,000,000 financing and development project for the renovation of an historic hotel and resort in Miami Beach, as well as the construction of a 63-story casino, retail and condominium-hotel resort tower in Las Vegas.
Fred was selected for inclusion in 2016 Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.