How Eric Helps Clients
Eric Holshouser practices all aspects of labor and employment law, including equal employment opportunity, wage and hour, health and safety, employee benefits, non-compete, trade secret and wrongful discharge law, as well as legal matters involving union-company relations. He also represents employers in both state and federal court in the areas of labor relations, discrimination, non-compete enforcement, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, wage and hour, breach of contract and fraud.
Eric is a former chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section of The Florida Bar.
Areas in which Eric has recent and substantial experience include:
- Handling non-compete, restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation
- Representing employers in OSHA investigations and enforcement actions, including numerous fatality cases
- Defending businesses and non-profit employers in federal and state court discrimination, harassment and retaliation lawsuits
- Handling wage-hour audits and representing employers in wage and hour lawsuits
- Advising employers and high level executives in separation scenarios
- Defending employers in breach of executive employment contract cases in litigation and arbitration
- Defending business in disability access cases under Title III of the Americans With Disabilities Act
- Conducting collective bargaining with many unions on behalf of a wide range of employers, as well as municipalities and port and aviation authorities
- Defending employers in unfair labor practice and grievance and arbitration proceedings
- Prosecuting actions to enjoin strike misconduct
- Advising employers in all areas of employment law, including laws prohibiting discrimination and harassment, wage and hour laws, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Assistance Act
- Drafting policies, procedures and forms to comply with employment laws
What Clients Can Expect
Clients find that Eric is not only highly responsive, but also very practical and efficient in the solutions he provides to clients. This efficiency extends to keeping fully abreast of developments in labor and employment law, so most client questions can be answered without significant and expensive research. Also, Eric understands that clients do not like surprises; thus, he communicates frequently with clients while taking care not to bill for unsolicited advice or give advice outside of his knowledge base.
Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Labor and Employment Law, Eric has been selected by his peers for listing in The Best Lawyers in America® since 1991. In 2016, Eric was named by the Jacksonville Business Journal in its inaugural listing of Jacksonville’s 25 Ultimate Attorneys. He has also been named Jacksonville Lawyer of the Year in Labor Law - Management (2012 and 2015), Employment Law - Management (2013) and Litigation - Labor and Employment (2012). He has also been selected for inclusion in the Florida Super Lawyers list each year since 2006. Eric has been recognized each year as a leading labor and employment lawyer in Florida by Chambers USA and has garnered an AV® Preeminent distinction, the highest available mark for professional excellence from Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings. He ranked in the top two percent of practicing Florida Bar members in Florida Trend Magazine’s “Florida Legal Elite.”
In labor and employment law, the variety of issues we encounter is fascinating, as is the constant evolution of the law. Just when I think I have heard everything, something new arises.
Firmly believing in the importance of one-on-one mentoring for new lawyers, Eric is much appreciated in the firm for his commitment to passing down his years of experience, thus helping to sustain the firm’s reputation for excellence in client service.
Outside the Office
Eric is active on the Executive Council of the Florida Bar’s Labor and Employment Law section and is a frequent lecturer on labor and employment law topics. He is also very active in civic and community organizations. He is on the Executive Committee and is the Southeast Region Board Chair of the American Lung Association, Inc. and serves on the organization’s Northeast Florida advisory board. Eric is also an officer and director of the Academy of Florida Management Attorneys. He enjoys traveling and cycling.
- On appeal, established precedent in Florida limiting a claim for plaintiff’s attorneys’ fees under the Florida Civil Rights Act of 1992.
- Recently negotiated meaningful pension reform for a city in Florida.
Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1980
University of Illinois, B.A., 1975
School of Labor and Employment Relations, M.A., 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Academy of Florida Management Attorneys, Board of Directors
American Lung Association, Inc., Southeast Regional Board Chair
Chester Bedell American Inns of Court: Counselor, 2010-11; Master, 2008-present; Barrister, 1989–1992
Defense Research Institute: Member
Edmund J. James Scholar
Federal Bar Association: President, Jacksonville Chapter, 1990-1991
The Florida Bar: Chair, Workplace Health and Safety Committee, Labor and Employment Law Section, 2017-2018; Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section, 2009-2010
Jacksonville Bar Association: Member
American Lung Association, Inc.'s Southeast Region.: Chair, 2017; Chair-elect, 2015 - 2017; Executive Committee Member, 2011-present; Board Member, 2008-present; President, Leadership Board of the Northeast Florida Region, 1997-1999 and 2013-2016
Jacksonville Community Council, Inc.: Board Member, 2002-2007
North Florida Council for Boys Scouts of America: Mohawk District Chairman, 2008-2010
Provides day-to-day labor and employment law advice to several non-profit organizations on a pro bono basis
Riverside Presbyterian Day School: Board of Trustees, 1994-2002
United Way of Northeast Florida, Inc: Chairman, Board of Directors, 1997-1998; Board of Trustees, 2006-2011