Distinctive scientific knowledge.
Legal acumen with an engineering edge.
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney's Electrical Group is unique. We are a diverse group of attorneys and staff engineers with concentrations in physics, electrical engineering, software, materials, and aerospace and aeronautical engineering. Some of our professionals were also examiners with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO).
Our extensive scientific background gives us the ability to understand the innovations our clients bring to market, and our legal knowledge enables us to protect their ideas and products. Our ability to grasp the technical nuances and competitive features of a product or service is a valuable benefit to our clients, and it helps them stay ahead in an intensely competitive marketplace.
Experience and service.
Our attorneys have experience in electronic circuits and systems; semiconductor device design and fabrication; wired, wireless and optical telecommunications; computer software, firmware and hardware; and signal processors and processing techniques, algorithms and business methods.
In addition to protecting intellectual property for inventors and companies, the Electrical Practice Group helps clients by developing patent portfolio strategies, considering standardization organization activity and developing business method patents. We also handle licensing patents, as well as technology to and from commercial organizations, universities and governments.
Our patent attorneys and agents have particular knowledge in:
- Antennae array systems
- Circuit-switched and packet-data networks, devices, and standards, including cellular radio telephones and infrastructure, wireless LANs, Bluetooth™ networks, GSM, TDMA, CDMA, 2.5G and 3G Ultra-wideband (UWB) technology, including wireless Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) systems
- Data (audio, video, etc.) compression/decompression and classical and quantum cryptography, and signal processing, including multi-parameter processing for multi-dimensional systems
- DRAM and other memory chips, bipolar and FET structures, and single-instruction multiple-data processing architectures
- Financial processes and products
- Fiber-optic cables and components, LEDs and diode lasers, filters, modulators and splitters
- Genetic algorithms
- Imaging and display devices and algorithms, including cameras, CAT scanners, computer vision, magnetic resonance imagers, FLIRs, optical encoders, optics and X-ray tomography
- Internet applications, virtual reality and MMOGs
- MEMS and nanotechnology
- Semiconductor structures and fabrication processes
- Software and computer-implemented business methods
Please send new patent applications to