How David Helps Clients
David A. Schumacher is a commercial litigator who handles cases in both state and federal courts across the country. David focuses his practice on contract disputes, trade secrets, restrictive covenants and various business torts. He has examined witnesses in depositions and arbitrations and has experience in discovery matters, preliminary injunctions, motion practice and briefing. David also has significant experience in electronic discovery and is a member of the firm’s E-Discovery team.
What Clients Can Expect
In every case, David possesses a strong command of the legal issues and works tirelessly to develop creative solutions to those issues. He prides himself on his professionalism, responsiveness and efficiency because he is highly committed to his clients and is looking out for their best interests.
Outside the Office
Born and raised in southern New Jersey, David and his family live near his childhood home, where they enjoy Philadelphia’s sports teams and trips to the shore.
“David quickly gains the respect and trust of his clients.” – Buchanan Colleague
- Took depositions, obtained other discovery, and drafted briefs in a breach of contract action where the client settled for less than 3 percent of the plaintiff’s claimed damages in the Eastern District of Oklahoma.
- Was a member of a trial team which won jury verdicts rejecting over $8 million in claims for breach of contract and tortious interference and awarding $130,000 on counterclaim for misuse of confidential information after a two-week trial in Jackson County (Missouri) Circuit Court.
- Won a $1.29 million judgment against a large medical imaging center concerning a breached lease agreement where the District Court decided the matter on the papers.
- Defeated a request for an injunction in a dispute between former business partners that would have forced the liquidation of one of the best-performing long-term capital investment funds in the United States.
- Forced the dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a consumer class action filed against a manufacturer of personal fitness products in the Northern District of California less than four business days after service of the complaint.
The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D., 2009, cum laude
University of Virginia, B.A., 2003
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Philadelphia Bar Association
UVa Club of Philadelphia
Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey
Philadelphia Bar Foundation Board Observer Program, 2015-16