Craig D. Mills' litigation practice emphasizes intellectual property, business torts, corporate control issues, the enforcement of contracts and construction. He is co-chair of the firm's Litigation Section.
Craig's courtroom experience ranges from rural county courts to the United States Supreme Court and every level of litigation in between, reflecting a broad spectrum of complex intellectual property claims, fraud, trade secret and unfair trade practices actions, restrictive covenants, construction disputes, and all types of contract actions. Craig has a truly national practice. Representative cases over the last decade include:
- Chicago, Illinois: In two separate actions concluded over the span of 45 days, forced two different non-practicing entities (“NPEs,” often referred to as “patent trolls”) to withdraw claims for patent infringement filed against our clients, a sporting goods manufacturer and a running shoe company, shortly after suit was filed and without payment of any settlement amount by filing or threatening to file counterclaims against the NPEs for violating state anti-trolling or other unfair trade practice statutes.
- St. Louis, Missouri: Won dismissal of all claims in a consumer class action lawsuit filed against our client, a pharmaceutical company.
- Bucks County, Pennsylvania: Represent the County of Bucks in a series of disputes with the architect, general contractor, and elevator and roofing contractors arising from the construction of the Bucks County Justice Center and the renovation of the Bucks County Administration building.
- Raleigh, North Carolina: Launched and executed nationwide campaign to enforce a newly-issued patent relating to sporting goods through demand letters and patent infringement actions that to date has caused more than 120 competitors to cease all sales of infringing products, while recovering significant royalties for our client.
- San Francisco: Less than four business days after service of the complaint, forced the dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a consumer class action filed against a manufacturer of personal fitness products in the Northern District of California.
- Philadelphia: Won a complete defense verdict for two utility companies in a five-day jury trial arising out of an automobile accident that resulted in a $5.25 million verdict against the co-defendants in the case.
- Philadelphia: Won $2.4 million jury verdict in a breach of contract action tried in the Commerce Court division of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Manhattan: Obtained the expedited dismissal with prejudice of claims for breach of contract and deceptive business practices against our clients, an international bank and a loan servicing corporation, in an action arising out of a series of loan agreements originally filed in the Supreme Court of the State of New York.
- Muskogee, Oklahoma: After taking discovery and filing counterclaims against the plaintiff in a breach of contract action, settled all claims against our client for less than 3 percent of the plaintiff’s claimed damages.
- Pike County, Mississippi: Obtained dismissal of a $600 million claim involving the allegedly negligent supervision and monitoring of pharmaceutical product distribution
- New York City: Overcame a $15 million indemnification demand and recovered unpaid severance fees in an international contract dispute between the buyer and sellers of a weight loss company in the Southern District of New York.
- Greensboro, North Carolina: Forced a competitor of our client to change the name, design and packaging of a consumer product that infringed upon two of our client’s trademarks, and to pay our client’s attorney fees and a royalty on all infringing products sold.
- Media, Pennsylvania: Defeated a request for injunction in a dispute between former business partners that, if granted, would have forced the liquidation of one of the best-performing long-term capital investment funds in the United States.
- Jackson County, Missouri: Won jury verdicts rejecting over $8 million in claims for breach of contract and tortious interference and awarding $130,000 on counterclaim for misuse of confidential information after a two-week trial in Jackson County Circuit Court.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Successfully resolved claims for $4.5 million in breach of contract and promissory estoppel action during the fourth day of a jury trial held in the Court of Common Pleas.
- Brooklyn, New York: Won verdicts rejecting $62 million in claims for breach of contract and tortious interference and awarding $2.8 million in damages on a counterclaim for breach of contract after a two-week jury trial in the Eastern District of New York. The court also fined the opposing party and its CEO $100,000 for presenting falsified evidence at trial, awarding $50,000 of that sanction to our client.
- Kansas City, Missouri: After a two-day hearing, defeated a request for a preliminary injunction that, if granted, would have jeopardized millions of dollars of revenues per week for our client.
- Houston, Texas: Obtained complete dismissal of $10 million claim for tortious interference less than 90 days after suit was filed.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Won a $2.1 million verdict while defeating $700,000 in counterclaims in a breach of contract action tried in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Los Angeles, California: Obtained the complete dismissal of all claims and recovered attorney's fees for our client in an action for malicious prosecution and unfair trade practices heard in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Recovered $13.2 million in damages for our client on claims for breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets heard in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Chester County, Pennsylvania: Won the largest verdict handed down in Chester County in 2006 on claims for conversion and tortious interference arising from a corporate control dispute.
- Harris County, Texas: Won a $6 million jury verdict in a construction dispute after a two-week trial in Houston.
Craig began his legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable Terrence W. Boyle of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. Before attending law school, Craig served in the Marine Corps as an infantry reconnaissance officer in various postings to the Mediterranean, Far East and Persian Gulf.
Since 2006, Craig has been consistently selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list. He has also been selected to the Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers® list. He has also been awarded Martindale-Hubble’s “AV/Preeminent” rating (Judicial Edition), the highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards as judged by a confidential survey of other members of the bar and of the judiciary.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1991, cum laude
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1984, cum laude
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- North Carolina
Past Chair, Federal Courts Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Philadelphia Committee, Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation: Past Chair
St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia: Past President; Scholarship Committee Chair
The Union League of Philadelphia: Admissions Committee Chair
Philadelphia SALUTE Veteran Assistance Coalition