Solid advice for your project.
We'll help you get down to work.
The construction lawyers of Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney work side by side with our clients as they address the issues that arise in the course of a construction project. We strive to identify and manage problems from the outset by helping our clients to review plans and draft contracts that address and allocate forseeable risks. We provide guidance on bidding documents and other agreements related to project design, specifications, construction and financing. Because we believe in heading off costly conflicts, we counsel clients on construction dispute avoidance, claim preservation and alternative dispute resolution — but, when necessary, we protect our clients' interests through litigation.
Defending your stake.
When it comes to construction litigation, we have represented local, regional, and national companies throughout the industry, including owners, residential and commercial real estate developers, construction general contractors, special trade contractors and subcontractors, design professionals, architects and engineers. We have litigated construction claims in state and federal courts and in a variety of arbitration forums. Here are a few examples of the cases we've handled:
- Represented the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Sports and Exhibition Authority in a variety of matters related to the construction of Heinz Field, including a suit to recover the cost of corrective work necessary to remedy premature corrosion and severe rusting on the metal egress stairs and octagonal entrance and exit ramps.
- Represented the University of Pittsburgh in two major lawsuits arising out of construction of the Petersen Events Center, including a suit to recover the cost of replacing the roof ($5 million recovery) and a suit to recover damages resulting from the design professional's breach of contract and professional negligence ($5.9 million verdict).
- Defended the University of Delaware and its joint venture partner in many mechanics' lien actions and other construction disputes arising out of the defalcations and defaults of a general contractor who was engaged to build a hotel on the University's campus for use by the school's convention center and school of hotel management.
- Successfully defended the University of Pittsburgh and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission in several actions brought by disappointed bidders seeking to enjoin public construction projects undertaken by those entities.
- Won a $2.5 million verdict for the Harrisburg Sewerage Authority in litigation against design engineers and contractors for faulty design and construction of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Obtained a $1.5 million pretrial settlement for a Chicago bridge contractor against the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
- Won a defense verdict for a Pittsburgh steel fabricator after a six-week trial in federal court where the claim arose from the failure of the granite facade on a thirty-story office building.
- Defended the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission in a state court action brought by an underground coal mine owner to block construction of the Mon Fayette Expressway.
- Prosecuted a subrogation claim on behalf of an architect's errors and omissions carrier against the consulting mechanical/electrical engineer on a hospital project in Williamsport, PA.
- Prosecuted claims for an architect's extra design work related to the Pennsylvania State Capitol building project.
- Represented a steel fabricator supplying structural members to the Columbus Convention Center in a dispute involving delay claims, change orders and extra work.
- Pursued a claim for payment and defended against counterclaims for faulty work on behalf of a rail and tie manufacturer under contracts related to the supply of rail and concrete railroad ties on the St. Clair County Metrolink Extension project in Illinois.
- Defended the Port Authority of Allegheny County in claims arising out of construction of Pittsburgh's light rail transit system.
- Defended an architect in errors, omissions and delay claims litigation brought by the owner and prime contractor on the original Pittsburgh Convention Center.
- Represented Montefiore Hospital, in Pittsburgh, in claims arising from the infill of shell areas and renovation of certain floors.
- Represented Neshaminy Construction, Feasterville, PA, prime contractor for security systems at the Washington County Jail.
- Represented Altoona City Authority with respect to the construction of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Defended a roofing system manufacturer and supplier in a federal court action for breach of contract, breach of warranty and negligence claims brought by a building owner arising out of mold growth and insect infestation.
- Intervened on behalf of the owner in the midst of a five-year hospital construction project where the original contractor went bankrupt and the successor contractor was embroiled in disputes with the architect. Through hard work, tact and diplomacy, litigation was avoided and the project was successfully completed.
- Won an appeal before Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, en banc, reversing a trial court decision in a case that will have statewide implications involving Pennsylvania's Construction Code.
- Represented a Pittsburgh area shopping center to enable it to proceed with a substantial expansion project.
- Won real estate tax exemptions for non-profit nursing homes, housing facilities for low income families and a YMCA.