Carl Staiger concentrates his practice in corporate and securities law and taxation, with an emphasis in oil and gas matters. He represents oil and gas producers and property owners in connection with the acquisition and disposition of oil and gas interests, certifying title, joint development and exploration agreements, mineral conveyances, drilling agreements, services agreements, regulatory matters, dispute resolution and related tax planning.
Carl has extensive experience involving business and tax planning for commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, as well as planning involving partnerships, S corporations and other closely held businesses. He also represents taxpayers in connection with tax disputes involving the Internal Revenue Service, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and City of Pittsburgh.
He has consecutively been named to the Pittsburgh Business Times' "Who's Who in Energy" list, a compilation of southwestern Pennsylvania-based key players in the energy industry.
As part of his oil and gas practice, Carl has represented oil and gas operators and producers in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. More specifically, he has handled the following matters in the oil and gas field:
- Issuance of numerous title opinions (aka "certificates of title") related to Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia mineral rights.
- Represented a privately held exploration and production company in connection with a roll-up of its oil and gas assets in Western Pennsylvania into a newly formed limited partnership.
- Represented a privately held exploration and production company in connection with the acquisition/farm-in of approximately 6,500 acres of "deep rights" subject to leases in Washington County, Pa., from a local operator, in exchange for cash consideration and the reservation by Farmor of the right to participate (by acquiring working interests as a non-operator) in the drilling and development of wells on the farmout acreage or acreage pooled or unitized therewith.
- Represented a privately held exploration and production company in connection with the formation of a joint venture with a publicly traded natural resource company with significant coal and natural gas operations in Greene County, Pa. The purpose of the joint venture is to jointly develop Marcellus wells in Greene County, Pa.
- Represented a privately held exploration and production company in connection with the sale of thousands of acres of mineral rights and leasehold interests in Clearfield and Westmoreland Counties, together with working interests in approximately 100 shallow wells located on such acreage, to a publicly traded exploration and production company.
- Represented a privately held exploration and production company in connection with the sale of approximately 8,000 acres of "deep rights" under lease in Fayette, Clearfield and Westmoreland Counties to a publicly traded exploration and production company, in exchange for cash consideration and the reservation of a "production payment."
- Represented developers, operators and investors in connection with numerous joint ventures formed for the purpose of jointly acquiring, developing and/or operating oil and gas assets in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Representation has included planning for the appropriate ownership structure, negotiating and drafting the entity formation documents, drilling and operating agreements, services agreements and all related documents. Experience includes substantial work with the Form 610 operating agreement, standard "master services agreement" and the standard IADC drilling contract, as well as other non-standard agreements.
- Represented producers/operators in connection with the preparation of private placement memoranda, securities documentation and all related entity documents and drilling and operating agreements, in connection with offerings made for the purpose of raising funds to drill, complete and place into production oil and gas wells in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
- Represented operators in connection with the negotiation and drafting of drilling contracts (including IADC drilling contracts) with drilling contractors related to the drilling of various vertical and horizontal wells, including shallow wells, Marcellus wells and deeper (Oriskany) wells.
- Represented operators in connection with the preparation and filing of applications for well permits, including related questions arising under the Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Act and related DEP regulations.
- Represented an oil and gas investment company in connection with the acquisition of mineral rights throughout West Virginia and Pennsylvania, including ongoing transactional assistance in connection with purchasing Marcellus rights, as well as the preparation and issuance of related title opinions.
- Developed oil and gas lease forms and mineral estate purchase agreements for use in Pennsylvania by a Texas-based exploration and development company. Representation includes ongoing assistance in connection with leasing and purchasing Marcellus rights in Pennsylvania, as well as representation in connection with title matters.
Additionally, Carl has represented oil and gas operators and producers in Pennsylvania and West Virginia in various litigation matters, including:
- Representation of non-operator clients in claims against operator resulting from significant losses from pipelines owned by operator in Western Pennsylvania.
- Representation of exploration and production company, as lessee, in connection with claims brought by separate property owners for payment of bonuses after lessee terminated leases related to acreage in Lycoming County, Pa.
- Representation of a named defendant in Belcher v. The Keeton Group, an action filed in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. Plaintiffs claimed that defendants' leases were invalid under the Pennsylvania Minimum Royalty Statute, at 58 P.S.§ 33, as they provided for the deduction of post production costs from a one-eighth royalty.
- Representation of an exploration and production company in connection with petitioning the Court of Common Pleas of Washington County for appointment of trustee under the Pennsylvania Dormant Oil and Gas Act.
- Representation of an exploration and production company in connection with actions initiated by property owners in Pennsylvania related to the validity and scope of rights of way and other surface rights.
Temple University Beasley School of Law, LL.M., 2001, Taxation
Widener University School of Law, J.D., 1993, cum laude
Rutgers College - Camden, B.S., 1990, cum laude; Dean's list; Member of Athenaeum Honor Society, Accounting
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
Allegheny County Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
New Jersey State Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Association
United States Tax Court
Pennsylvania Independent Oil & Gas Association (PIOGA)
Allegheny Tax Society, Corresponding Secretary of the Board
Ohio Oil & Gas Association
Ohio Bar Association
West Virginia Bar Association