How Brian Helps Clients
Brian is recognized as one of Harrisburg’s premier health care lobbyists with a proven track record of legislative and regulatory accomplishments.
He is a member of Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney’s State Government Relations Group and has more than 15 years' experience interfacing with the General Assembly and executive agencies.
Brian has a broad range expertise on health care issues, services and deliverables and is known for his commitment to clients’ needs. He provides highly customized services and solutions that address the client's business challenges as well as the challenges of today’s dynamic health care environment.
First and foremost, it's my job to understand the client's goals and the business and regulatory environments in which they operate.
As former director of government affairs for the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, Brian represented the chamber's interests on Capitol Hill to members of the Pennsylvania General Assembly and administration. While doing so, he played a key role in passage of numerous pro-business initiatives including comprehensive revisions to Pennsylvania’s unemployment and workers’ compensation laws, reauthorization of the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council, introduction of Health Savings Accounts in the Commonwealth and reform of the state’s civil justice system. Additionally, he was an active participant in the stakeholder process on issues such as medical liability reform, creation of the Cover All Kids health insurance program.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients and colleagues appreciate Brian's credibility, insight, responsiveness and attention to detail.
Brian's depth and breadth of experience, along with the relationships he has built with key decision makers, give him a unique perspective. He leverages what he knows and who he knows to create substantive, practical solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Attained passage of legislation that modernizes the important fee-for-service hospital payment system, establishes enhanced hospital payments through Medicaid MCOs and secures additional federal matching Medicaid funds through the establishment of the Quality Care Assessment.
- Achieved state funding increases for nursing homes and management care organizations (MCOs).
- Collaborated with the pharmaceutical and managed care communities in preventing the Department of Human Services from "carving out" pharmaceutical services as a covered benefit from the HealthChoices program or the voluntary managed care program.
- Restored funding for regional cancer institutes and poison control centers through the Department of Health.
- Convinced legislative leaders to increase the debt ceiling for the capital budget to allow for more funding of client capital projects.
- Received funding commitments for hospital-related capital improvement projects.
- Attained increases in state funding for clients in the areas of human services (e.g., behavioral health and intellectual disabilities).
- Assisted clients through the regulatory process with regard to the recently enacted assisted living regulations.
- Helped to attain passage of legislation creating a program for the use of medicinal marijuana for patients with severe medical conditions.
- Directed clients through state procurement opportunities pertaining to the Commonwealth's Medical Assistance program.
East Stroudsburg University, M.A., 1995, Political Science
Gettysburg College, B.A., 1993, Political Science
Harrisburg Regional Chamber, PAC, Health Subcommittee and Government Relations Committee Member
Capital Region Economic Development Corporation, Board Member
Hershey Jr. Bears, Board of Directors, Member
Statewide YMCA, Board of Directors
TEAM Pennsylvania, Partner