Barry Ivan Slotnick is a defense attorney among this country's most celebrated. He is a shareholder at Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC and Chairman of the Firm's New York Litigation Group. Mr. Slotnick's practice focuses on commercial litigation, civil litigation, disciplinary proceedings, high net-worth matrimonial matters and white collar defense.
Before joining Buchanan, Mr. Slotnick was a founding partner of Slotnick, Shapiro & Crocker, LLP, a leading boutique litigation firm in New York.
He is a former Associate Appeals Agent for the Selective Service Commission and was Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of New York. He is also a past executive secretary and consultant for the Bar Association of Puerto Rico.
Mr. Slotnick has received the American Lawyer's Ammy award as the best defense lawyer in America. He has been named one of the top one hundred trial lawyers in the State of New York by the American Association of Trial Lawyers. He has also been honored by the New York State Bar Association as one of the finest defense practitioners in the state. He has been honored every year by his peers and selected to the New York Super Lawyer® list. He was also recognized on the Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers® list in 2009. In 2010, he was named to AVENUE's "Legal Elite" list.
Mr. Slotnick has been victorious before the Supreme Court of the United States on more than one occasion. Among Mr. Slotnick's notable cases and clients, he has:
- Successfully defended Bernard Goetz, also known as "The Subway Vigilante," who was charged with seriously wounding would-be muggers who accosted him in the subway.
- Represented Joseph Colombo.
- Represented former Congressman Mario Biaggi in a corruption trial for accepting gratuities and obstructing justice.
- Represented Anthony Quinn in his divorce from Jolanda Addolori in 1997 and other personal matters.
- Represented Rabbi Meir Kahane with regard to a federal indictment;
- Represented Jay Ferriola in successfully challenging the former reservist's deployment to Iraq.
- Represented June Gumbel in her divorce from Bryant Gumbel.
- Represented Iris Cantor in her legal fight with Howard Lutnick over control of Cantor Fitzgerald, among other disputes.
- Represented casino magnate Steve Wynn in his well-publicized suit against Lloyd's of London.
- Represented Wynn Resorts, Ltd., in its bid to construct, develop and operate a Video Lottery Terminal Facility at New York's Aqueduct Racetrack.
- Represented Renaissance Art Investors and protected his client's works of art in a massive fraud committed by Larry Salander and the Salander-O'Reilly Galleries.
In addition to providing counsel to high-profile clients, Mr. Slotnick is also a prolific author and lecturer. His articles have appeared in the Wall Street Journal and in law journals throughout the country. Mr. Slotnick has also been an instructor for the Practicing Law Institute, teaching trial advocacy and skills to practicing attorneys.
He also serves as an instructor of Continuing Legal Education courses, including "American Democracy in Times of War" at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law and "Federal Sentencing Guidelines" at the Chabad Lubavitch of Midtown Manhattan.
Mr. Slotnick was a featured speaker during the Hauser Global Law School's 2005 Vanderbilt Speaker Series, and he frequently offers legal commentary for Court TV, Fox Network and public commentary programs.
New York University, LL.B., 1961
City College of the City Univer. of New York, B.A., 1959
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Bronx County Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Inter-American Bar Association
Committee of Federal Courts and Litigation, New York County Lawyers' Association
Governor's Judicial Selection Committee
Fellow, New York Bar Foundation
Chair, Committee on Capital Crimes, New York State Bar Association
Ellis Island Medal of Honor
Crime Victims' Political Platform Humanitarian Award
New York State Supreme Court Officers' Association Award on Behalf of Crime Victims
Israel Leadership Peace Award
Italian American Civil Rights League Anti-Defamation and Anti-Discrimination Award
B'nai B'rith Champion of Youth Award
Lubavitch Youth Organization Man of the Year Award
Young Israel of Scarsdale Man of the Year Award
Congress of Racial Equality Lawyer of the Year Award
Friends of Lubavitch of Westchester, chairman, 1995-1996