Alexandra West focuses her practice on commercial and complex litigation in state and federal courts. She represents regional, national and international clients in such areas as commercial contracts, corporate director and shareholder litigation, insurance coverage disputes, estates and trusts litigation, real estate litigation and employment discrimination and harassment.
Alex also has significant appellate experience and expertise. After graduating from law school, Alex served as clerk for the Honorable Walter K. Stapleton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Representative matters include:
- Assisted in obtaining and defending on appeal a summary judgment in favor of director/shareholder of a Delaware corporation in a direct action (seeking a multi-million dollar damages award) brought by a corporate shareholder alleging breach of fiduciary duties in connection with a down-round equity financing transaction that diluted the plaintiff’s equity. Rock v. Rangos and Meakem, G.D. 08-027634 (C.P. Allegheny), aff’d, 2013 Pa. Super. 13 (January 24, 2013).
- Assisted in obtaining denial of preliminary injunction request and the subsequent entry and affirmance on appeal of summary judgment in favor of minority shareholders in an action brought by a Pennsylvania corporation based on its right of first refusal in a shareholder agreement and seeking to block minority shareholders’ $30+ million stock sale to a third party. Teletracking Technologies Inc. v. Gori, G.D. No. 11-06531 (C.P. Allegheny), affirmed, No. 1066 WDA 2011 (Pa. Super. April 10, 2013).
- Assisted in obtaining and sustaining on appeal to the New York Appellate Division the stay of opponent’s earlier filed lawsuit seeking preemptive declaratory judgment in its home jurisdiction. AIG Financial Products Corp. v. Penncara Energy LLC, 83 A.D.3d 495, 922 N.Y.S.2d 288 (2011).
- Assisted in defending large commercial building owner in trial and subsequent appeal of a range of claims with respect to property rights, express and implied easements, rights-of-way and Pennsylvania’s Private Road Act. Frank Bryan, Inc. v. Pittsburgh Terminal Properties, P.L.J., Vol. 157, No. 24, Page 463 (Allegheny Cty. 2009).
- Assisted in both prosecuting secured lender’s claims arising from borrower’s failure to repay a more than $30 million loan and defending against borrower’s related tort and RICO actions. KeyBank National Association v. Lake Villa Oxford Associates, LLC, 2012-126588-CK (Oakland Cty. Mich.); Value Manufactured Homes, LLC v. KeyBank National Association, No. 6:13-cv-06402 (WDNY).
- Assisted in prosecuting and obtaining favorable settlement of helicopter operator’s insurance coverage and bad faith claims arising from its primary aviation liability insurer’s denial of a defense and indemnity on claims for contractual indemnity estimated at more than $6 million arising from helicopter crash. CJ Systems Aviation Group, Inc. v. Indemnity Insurance Company of North America, No. 07-CVS-03993 (Durham Cty. NC).
- Represented both petitioners and respondents in various proceedings in Allegheny and Westmoreland County Orphan’s Courts with respect to estates ranging from $6 million to $100 million, including challenges to the validity of wills, trusts and inter vivos gifts on the basis of undue influence and incapacity, as well objections relating to the identity of trust beneficiaries.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1999, summa cum laude
Wellesley College, B.A., 1992, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Supreme Court