Stuart P. Slotnick currently serves on the firm's Lateral Recruitment Committee. He is the former chair of the firm's Business Litigation and Trial Practice group and has served as Buchanan’s New York City office’s managing shareholder. During his tenure, he has also served as the former vice-chair of the firm's White-Collar Defense and Investigations practice and the firm's Strategic Planning Committee. He is also a member of the Committee on the Judiciary of the New York City Bar Association. Stuart concentrates his practice in commercial litigation, trial work, business litigation, white-collar and government investigations, contested matrimonial and child custody matters, appellate litigation, civil litigation, class action litigation, employment discrimination, intellectual property, medical malpractice, mass tort litigation, products liability litigation and personal injury litigation.
Stuart has represented clients throughout the United States and has successfully tried business, criminal, civil, matrimonial, employment discrimination, products liability, personal injury and medical malpractice cases in various jurisdictions. In addition to obtaining multimillion dollar pre-trial settlements, Stuart has assisted his clients in recovering millions of dollars after trial. He has represented clients in several state and federal class actions that have resulted in recoveries in excess of $100 million. Stuart has represented and advised publicly listed corporations, privately held companies and high net worth individuals.
Since 2013, Stuart has been consecutively selected for inclusion in the New York Super Lawyers list. He has garnered an AV® Preeminent distinction, the highest available mark for professional excellence from Martindale-Hubbell's® Peer Review Ratings, and he also received a 5/5 rating on lawyers.com.
Among the diverse cases that Stuart has handled, he has:
- Represented a multi-national internet gaming corporation in a Department of Justice investigation, which resulted in a resolution of all related criminal charges pursuant to a Non-Prosecution Agreement.
- Represented billionaire casino magnate, Steve Wynn, in litigation matters in various states, resulting in dismissal of claims and positive settlements.
- Defeated an international financial institution's attempts to enjoin a former employee from working for a competing firm, resulting in denial of attempt to get a temporary restraining order and ultimate dismissal of the state court action.
- Defended a hedge fund operator in breach of fiduciary duty claims resulting in a positive settlement of all claims.
- Represented franchise system operators in various State and Federal litigations against franchisees.
- Represented the distributor and manufacturer of nutraceutical and health products in a breach of exclusive distribution agreement, which resulted in the attachment of multi-million dollar patents and trademarks.
- Represented an international nutritional supplement manufacturer in numerous patent and trademark infringement claims.
- Represented a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in a Department of Justice False Claims Act investigation, which resulted in no action against the company.
- Advised international and domestic companies on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues.
- Obtained dismissal of temporary restraining order in Federal Court relating to a financial institution's claim that a competing business stole trade secrets and client accounts.
- Represented a multi-national apparel company in business litigations and intellectual property disputes.
- Obtained the dismissal of a complaint and $100 million claim for breach of contract in connection with a real estate development partnership.
- Served as outside counsel to the insurance-appointed counsel in defending several homeowner liability cases involving injured construction workers.
- Represented an insurance policy holder in a breach of contract case involving a multimillion dollar recovery subsequent to an insurance loss.
- Prosecuted a products liability claim on behalf of an individual, through trial and verdict, against a multi-national pharmaceutical company which resulted in a multi-million dollar recovery.
- Prosecuted a case against the manufacturer of an electro-surgical generator and related parties, on behalf of a surgeon who received an electric shock while using the product.
Notably, Stuart has represented several Army captains and soldiers throughout the country in federal actions against the U.S. Army. He has successfully challenged the Army’s attempt to recall soldiers to active duty for deployment to Iraq and his clients have been granted Honorable Discharges from the Army. In addition to his diverse litigation experience, Stuart has represented clients in matrimonial, family court, employment and real estate matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Stuart was special counsel at a New York litigation boutique. He was also a supervising senior assistant district attorney and senior trial attorney for the Office of the District Attorney, Kings County. As a senior trial attorney, Stuart tried and prosecuted a wide array of cases including homicides and high profile matters. At the District Attorney's Office, Stuart conducted hundreds of grand jury investigations and wrote successful appellate briefs.
Stuart frequently appears on national and network television programs as a legal analyst and is regularly quoted in national publications and newspapers on high profile litigations and court cases.
He is conversant in Spanish.